What you need:
- 3 lbs. whole chicken, cut into skinless serving size pieces or any chicken pieces of your choice
- 1 lb. asparagus, just the tender bits
- 1 thumb-size ginger, peeled and sliced in small pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or oyster sauce
- 14 cups water (it sounds like a lot but it’s not)
- 6-10 gyoza (I use frozen ones from Save On Foods)
- Coarser salt for seasoning
What you do:
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt. Set aside for 10 minutes. Add olive oil and saute.
- Add ginger and onions and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add fish sauce (oyster sauce) and stir to combine flavor.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is tender. Make sure to skim any scummy stuff that floats on the surface of the stock.
- Add the asparagus and gyoza and cook for 3 minutes or until the asparagus are crisp and tender.
Correct seasonings by adding fish sauce or salt to soup…
Serve and enjoy!