I don’t know if any of you know this, but I am Ukrainian…full out on my Mom’s side. Which means, I love Cabbage Rolls. And Perogies…But that is for another post. Oh that I and I can’t make perogies. That was my Great grannies thing, not mine. But I do make a mean cabbage roll…and these are so, so good.
What you need:
•1 large head Savoy cabbage (It is the easiest to roll)
•1 can (14 ounce) tomato sauce
•2 cups cooked long grain rice
•1/2 cup chopped onion
•1 tbsp chopped garlic
•1 egg, lightly beaten
•1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
•1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
•Salt and pepper to taste
What you do:
1. Cook cabbage in boiling water for about 8-10 minutes. I pretty much use the whole cabbage and make some tiny rolls with the end pieces… drain well. Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a small V-shaped cut.
2. Cook ground beef in hot skillet with onion and garlic (salt and pepper and a dash of hot sauce to spice it up!!) until browned (I added some chopped zucchini to the mix too).
3. In a large bowl, combine 3/4 of the can of tomato sauce (save the rest for in the bottom of the crock pot) with the rice, onion, and egg. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
4. Place about 1/3 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end, I totally have it backwards in the picture…duh. Roll up completely to enclose filling. Secure with toothpicks if desired (I don’t do this, they seem to stay together fine.)
5. Pour remaining tomato sauce in the bottom of the crock pot. Place cabbage rolls in slow cooker.
6. Pour V8 juice over rolls.
7. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until filling reaches 160°. Just before serving, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
About the Author: A little out of line, never politically correct, and you can't dress me up...all I ask is you leave smiling and come back soon :)