On my mission to become grain free, I have found a few cravings that are hard to forget about. Carrot cake being one of my top 5. I LOVE carrot cake, almost as much as I love my Mom…so I have been searching for the perfect cake to fill the void…
This may just be that recipe, if you want a really thick cake, I would double the recipe, but since I am usually the only one that eats stuff like this in my house, it made a perfect sized 8×8 cake, that was a perfect sized serving in it’s thinness.
(And by that I don’t mean I ate the whole cake)
(Even though that did indeed occur to me).
What you need:
- 1/4 cup oil (I used olive oil)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup finely grated carrots
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple (canned is fine)
- 1/2 cup almond flour, packed
- 1/4 cup coconut flour, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (also optional but would be delicious in place of the pecans)
*Just a side note, I didn’t use pecans or coconut because I wanted to taste test this on my kid to see if he would notice the flour missing and he hates both nuts and coconut :) Sometimes you have to sacrifice when you are tricking your children.
What you do:
~Preheat oven to 350° .
~Whisk together oil, honey and eggs.
~Stir in the grated carrot and pineapple.
~Whisk in all dry ingredients, until clumps are all gone.
~Stir in pecans.
~Pour batter into 8×8 greased baking dish.
~Bake for 25-30 minutes.
~Cool completely before icing.
~Top with the following cinnamon cream cheese icing…
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2½ – 3½ cups powdered sugar (depending on how thick you want it)
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
~Blend the cream cheese and vanilla for about 1 minute on medium speed. Alternate the whipping cream and powdered sugar until you reach the right consistency. Add more powdered sugar to make it thicker. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg to the icing and blend.
Spread on your cooled cake and enjoy!