So here I go again on the tomatoes!! I have still got some left that are green. My lovely boss Shauna has passed on her Mom’s recipe to us for her homemade pickles, so I decided to try it this year instead of the old standby recipe that I usually make.
Pickles are really easy to make, a lot of people will shy away from them thinking it is a big process. The only thing you need for this recipe that you might not have on hand are some canning jars, pickling spice, some pickling vinegar, and some time. I was lucky and had everything on hand :)
So here we go!!
- 5 lbs (2 quarts) green tomatoes
- 2 1/2 lbs onions
- 1/4 cup salt (I used a course salt)
- 3 cups pickling vinegar
- 1/4 cup pickling spice
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1. Slice onions and tomatoes.
2. Layer the onions and tomatoes, alternating and sprinkling each layer with salt.
3. Let stand overnight.
5. Bring the vinegar to a boil with the pickling spices (tied in a bag~I didn’t do this but should have) and the sugar, but NOT the mustard or cayenne yet.
6. Add the onions and tomatoes.
7. Boil for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the veggies are transparent. (Don’t boil so long the liquid all evaporates.)
8. Just before removing from the heat add the mustard and cayenne pepper.
9. Seal in clean, hot jars immediately.