I have always loved Mushroom soup but until a few years ago never realized how easy it is to make from scratch. You can totally add your own embellishments to this to make it even more awesome!!
What you need:
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped (I used shallots and green onions mixed for more color)
- 1 -2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour ( separated)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup light cream or 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- I also added a shot each of hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce for flavor :)
What you do:
- Cut the mushrooms into slices.
- Melt butter in large frying pan. Add in onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook until onions are soft.
- Blend in 2 tbsp. flour and stir.
- Add in the chicken broth and heat until slightly thickened while stirring frequently.
- Stir cream with additional 1 tbsp. flour and seasonings. Add in cream to soup. Heat to thicken while stirring frequently.
- Serve and enjoy!